Take the PSAT/NMSQT®
Start Your College Search
- Start with you: Make lists of your abilities, preferences and personal qualities. List things you may want to study and do in college.
- Jump-start your college planning by reading about majors and careers.
- Use College Search to find colleges with the right characteristics.
Begin Thinking about Financial Aid
Get Ready for the SAT
Schedule Your Spring Testing
- Start visiting local colleges: large, small, public and private. Get a feel for what works for you. Develop an initial list of 15-20 colleges that interest you. You can narrow it down later. Search for colleges and use My College List.
Prepare for AP® Exams
- Do well on AP Exams and receive credit, advanced placement or both at most colleges for qualifying scores. Prepare for AP Exams.
Plan Ahead for the Summer & Senior Year
Keep Up Your Momentum
- Visit colleges. Take campus tours and, at colleges you're serious about, schedule interviews with admission officers. Be sure to bring your campus visit checklist.
- Request applications from the colleges you're planning to apply to. Check important dates; some colleges have early dates or rolling admission. Consult the College Application Calendar and the Financial Aid Calendar for a basic idea of the applications timeline.